We have compiled a list including some great holiday and winter themed books, movies, activities and outings the whole family can enjoy together this season.
Activities Close to Home:
1. Get together with friends and family virtually.
2. Give each day a theme: Monday: Winter Fun, Tuesday: Get Cozy, Wednesday: Game Day etc.
3. Tour a Museum virtually
4. Decorate a gingerbread house or gingerbread people.
5. Use this recipe and make some gingerbread playdough
6. Decorate the house with “snowflakes”, use coloured paper and cut out all kinds of different snowflakes.
7. Make snow globes
8. Make a snowman, snow angels or have a snowball fight.
9. Shovel snow for an elderly neighbour.
10. Make a list and have your own winter scavenger hunt.
11. Make some hot chocolate, but mix it up a bit and try something new
1. Hit the trails, go on a winter hike or snowshoeing.
2. Find a unique place to go skating.
3. Go tobogganing.
4. Walk around the neighbourhood and have a Christmas lights scavenger hunt
5. Find a local outdoor festival and check it out.
Holiday and winter themed Books:
1. Merry Christmas Mom and Dad by Mercer Mayer
2. Bright Baby Touch and Feel Winter by Roger Priddy
3. Dashing Through the Snow – A Canadian Jingle Bells by Helaine Becker
4. The First Day of Winter by Denise Fleming
5. Jolly Christmas Postman by Allan Ahlberg
6. Winter is for Snow by Robert Neubecker
7. Frosty the Snowman by Diane Muldrow
8. Why I Love Winter by Daniel Howarth
9. The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore
10. Animals in Winter by Henrietta Bancroft
Holiday and Winter Themed Movies:
1. A Charlie Brown Christmas
2. Ice Age
3. Frosty the Snowman
4. Happy Feet
5. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
7. The Elf on a Shelf: An Elf’s Story
8. The Muppet Christmas Carol
9. Snow Dogs
10. The Polar Express