Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Wee One!
We know you have a busy schedule, so we would like to give you a hand with these easy snacks for children that take under 15 minutes to make!
Recipe 1 Almond Butter Spiced Apple
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) almond butter
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1. Cut apple in half and remove core.
2. Spread each half with almond butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Nutrition information per apple: Calories: 158 kcal, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 10 g, Carbohydrate: 19 g, Fibre: 3 g, Sodium: 72 mg
Recipe 2 Butterfly Quesadilla
- 2 small whole wheat flour tortillas
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- small tomato, thinly sliced
- large leaf romaine lettuce
- baby carrots
- small stalk celery, cut in two
1. Place one of the tortillas on a plate. Top with cheese, tomato and lettuce. Place remaining tortilla on top.
2. Cut into 4 quarters and separate slightly. Place 3 carrots in the middle to form the body of the butterfly. Place the celery sticks on top for the antennae.
Nutrition information per butterfly quesadilla: Calories: 436, Protein: 20.5g, Fat: 21.9g, Carbohydrate: 39.4g, Fibre: 5.8g, Sodium: 863mg, Calcium 417mg, Iron 2.1mg
Recipe 3 Pizza
- Whole wheat English muffin
- 2 Tbsp sodium reduced pasta or pizza sauce
- ¼ cup grated part skim mozzarella cheese
- small green pitted olives, cut in half
- Half red bell pepper, sliced
- ¼ cup grated carrots
1. Split English muffin in half and place on small baking pan. Spread each with sauce.
2. Sprinkle each with cheese and place 2 olive halves on each muffin for eyes. Use 1 red pepper slice on each for a mouth.
3. Place in 350 ºF (180 ºC) toaster oven or oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and English muffin is crispy.
4. Place each on a plate and sprinkle top with carrots for hair and serve each with remaining red peppers.
Nutrition information per pizza: Calories: 144, Protein: 7.2g, Fat: 5.0g, Carbohydrate: 19.6g, Fibre: 3.7g, Sodium: 412mg, Calcium 193mg, Iron 1.2mg
Recipe 4 Zippy Dip
- ½ cup of Hummus
- ½ cup of Salsa
- 2 tbsp of low fat yogurt or low fat sour cream
- In a bowl, stir together hummus, salsa and yogurt or sour cream until blended well.
- Serve with raw vegetables, whole grain crackers, baked tortilla chips or baked pita chips.
Tip: Cover and store dip in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Nutritional Information (per 25 mL/2 tbsp): Protein: 2 grams Fat: 2 grams Carbohydrates: 4 grams Sodium: 132 mg Calories: 33
Recipe 5 Hungry Kids Sundae
- Half an apple, chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Half a banana, chopped
- ½ cup small red or green grapes
- ¼ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- ½ cup low fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/3 cup low fat granola
- graham cracker, coarsely crushed
- In a bowl, combine apple and cinnamon to coat.
- Add banana, grapes and raisins.
- Pour yogurt over fruit and sprinkle with granola.
Top with graham cracker to serve.
Nutritional information (per serving): Calories: 127 kcal, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 1 g, Carbohydrate: 28 g, Fibre: 2 g, Sodium: 38 mg
(Recipes courtesy of: Eat Right Ontario)